You can transform lives today and for years to come — by creating a charitable gift annuity with City of Hope.
How a Charitable Gift Annuity Works
- A Gift of Hope for City of Hope Patients. Your gift ensures City of Hope’s groundbreaking research and compassionate patient care will continue uninterrupted regardless of what’s happening in the world.
- Attractive Payment Rates. Depending on your age, rates go as high as 8.6%, (and even higher for certain deferred charitable gift annuities). If you’re not sure when you would need your payment to start, a flexible deferred charitable gift annuity allows you to decide later. The longer the deferral, the higher your payment rate.
- Lower Taxes. With a charitable gift annuity, you are eligible for an income tax deduction and a portion of your payments are typically tax-free.
- Fixed, Guaranteed Payments. The fixed payments from a charitable gift annuity can help balance equity risk in your portfolio. The amount paid to you is determined by your age at the time your charitable gift annuity is funded and this amount will never change, regardless of market fluctuations or how long you live. If you don’t need income immediately or are looking ahead to retirement, you can schedule payments to begin at least one year after your donation, at a higher rate.
- Benefit up to Two People. Provide financial security for yourself and a spouse or other loved one. You each receive payments for your lifetimes.
- Deduct 100% of AGI. Under the CARES Act, for charitable gift annuities funded with cash, you may deduct up to 100% of adjusted gross income (AGI).
Sample Payment Rates*
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is a charitable gift annuity a good alternative for my maturing low-rate certificate of deposit?
Q: Is there a way to avoid capital gains taxes when redeeming appreciated stock?
Q: Are my payments secure?
Q: Is there a minimum age or donation amount required to establish a City of Hope charitable gift annuity?
A: City of Hope requires a minimum donation of $25,000, although it is not uncommon to contribute $100,000 or more. You must be age 60 or older to establish a charitable gift annuity with us. Younger donors may be able to establish a deferred charitable gift annuity. If you are looking ahead to retirement, you can delay the start of payments and realize a higher payment rate.